Monday, December 17, 2007

Online Auctions, eBay and Holiday Style for Less












eBay Auction Title: "NWT Donna Ricco Dress Size 10 Red New Never Worn!!List Price $158.00 Look your best for le$$"

Now that sounded pretty good to me. I will admit to having an eBay addiction. Not like a little - I mean a big Monkey*-On-My-Back that I affectionately call Paypal. I am in auction recovery, but I am not about to pass up eBay altogether. I have a few tips that I have learned over time.

1. Know your measurements and your size. Sizes vary by manufacturer (and even within the same label - Shelli Segal, I am talking to YOU). I was lucky in the above case as I have repeatedly been a 10 in Donna Ricco.

2. Do not EVER get caught up in the fight for the item. If you set yourself a $ amount, stick with it. In this case, I really wanted to keep the total price under $20.00. I promise, if you miss one item, there will be 10 more around the corner that you want just as badly.

3. Check shipping costs and terms BEFORE you bid. There are some folks out there who gouge for shipping. Some sellers insist on Paypal or refuse to use it. Know the details before you get bid happy.

4. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I will ask for measurements (see #1 - you'd better know yours) or clarification on color, fabric, quality. Asking questions cost you nothing but can save you money and heartache later.

5. Lastly, be prepared for disappointment. This is a toughie. Most sellers will not accept returns, so do your homework and cross your fingers for great fit.

I have had many flops. They all seem small in comparison to the great deals that I get now and again. My best eBay successes have been with formal wear. I won that Donna Ricco dress and had it on my doorstep for only $18.99.

(*While he is IN a Monkey suit, this is my husband and not the aforementioned monkey, Paypal.)

Happy Shopping & Air Kisses,

Jewels

No comments: